Sweet Potato Banana Bake

sweetpotatobanana

Need something quick and easy? Here’s a side for dinner. It would also make a great dish for a pot luck dinner. And a great way to use those aging, forgotten bananas over there on the counter.

Sweet Potato Banana Bake

3 large sweet potatoes (or 5 small/medium), baked

4 ripe bananas

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup coconut oil or butter

coconut sugar (optional)

pecans (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350F. Prick the sweet potatoes and bake until they are soft. (If they are large, cut them in half.) While the sweet potatoes bake, place your ripe bananas in a pan and bake for 15 minutes. When both potatoes and bananas have cooed enough to handle, scrape both into a bowl, discarding peels. Add your honey and coconut oil. Stir well. Garnish with coconut sugar and pecans.

13 Comments  to  Sweet Potato Banana Bake

1. Joy says:

Mmm….Does this taste similar to Thanksgiving sweet potato casserole?

2. admin says:

I suppose it might. But marshmallows are a different kind of sweetness than bananas.

3. Joy says:

Well, I like bananas much better than marshmallows. We never make marshmallow versions of sweet potato casserole. Anyways, excited about trying this soon:) Just wanted to let you know that I have had success in subbing plantains for chickpeas in several recipes. I boiled the green plantains, allowed them to dry thoroughly, and then ground them in my food processor. I subbed equal amounts of chickpeas for the plantain “flour.” Turned out great in two different recipes(cookies & blondies)!! I got the idea for this from sampling the dough of your chocolate cookies, before I had added the chocolate chips. It reminded me of cookie dough dip I had made with chickpeas before. This in turn led me to trying it out in baked goods. If you would like the links to the chickpea recipes I subbed, I would be happy to share. Thanks so much for your blog!! It has definitely been a source of inspiration!!

4. admin says:

I’d love those links! I do know that you can buy plantain flour. I’ve never seen it for sale on a grocery shelf, but you can get it through amazon. However, it may very well be better to make your own as the flour costs as much per pound as almond flour. I’d been thinking about dragging out my dehydrator to give it a try. But you say you boiled them first. Any specific reason why? I should definitely give this a try.

• admin says:

Correction, SOME of the plantain flour is very expensive. I imagine it is possible to find a much less expensive version elsewhere.

5. Joy says:

I simply used leftover plantains that I had boiled for pancakes. With the blondies, I think I boiled them, and then threw the plantains and the rest of the ingredients in the food processor. They turned out exactly as the original(from what I remember). With the cookies, I found it best to ground the plantains as finely as possible, or else the cookies had a nutty texture to them. I didn’t mind it, but others thought the crunch was a little odd. Let me know how the dehydrator idea turns out if you try it.

6. Tracy Sheehy says:

What is the reccomended serving size on this?

• admin says:

I’m not certain how to answer this. Part of paleo eating is knowing how much satisfies you. Not weighing, measuring, and counting calories. It’s not something I do now or will do in the future. This dish is high on carbohydrates with some added sugar as honey. Generally speaking, it should not constitute the bulk of your meal, but instead serve as a side dish.

7. Sienna says:

Thanks for sharing such a pleasant idea, post is fastidious, thats
    why i have read it entirely

8. Melaine says:

Because the adminn of this web site is working, no doubt very soon it will be
    renowned, due to its quality contents.

9. Shayna says:

You are so cool! I do not believe I have read a single thinhg like that before.
    So great to find another person with some genuine thoughts on this subject matter.
    Really.. many thanks for starting thiss up. This site is something that’s needed on the internet, someone with a
    little originality!